Title: The Photos and Me
Date: Wednesday, April 16
Time: 8 pm
Place: Tapps Art Center
1. What is your connection to the South?
Lived all of my pre-college life in Pageland, SC, and currently living in Columbia, SC for school.
2. Where did you get your inspiration for this work?
I was taking a documentary history class, and thinking about how filmmaker is part of the work being recorded. I was struggling for a film topic in my other class, and then I remembered this one time when I came home my mother had taken all of our pictures off the wall. I started the film to be about that, and it became something else in the process.
3. How did you start making films?
I always took pictures, but I never really thought about making movies until I took “The Moving Image” as an undergraduate at USC.
4. Did anything interesting or funny happen on set during the shooting?
A relative I had never met pulled up as we were about to leave the house, and I was pretty sure he might shoot me for trespassing. I wish I had recorded it. He was friendly though.
5. What do you look forward to the most during Indie Grits?
I look forward to the films mostly. And Indie Bits!
6. Why should someone see your film?
It intervenes with that search for history and self in an interesting way.