Why Indie Grits?
“As a filmmaker, I couldn’t have asked for a better introduction to Columbia than by attending Indie Grits this year. From the bold and moving indie spirit of the films at this years festival, to the hospitality of the festival organizers, Indie Grits was a great reflection of the warmth of the city and the can-do spirit. Indie Grits is a festival that is a must for filmmakers with a southern connection.”
—Jeremiah Jahi, Filmmaker, Director of 2017 Indie Grits film Never Came Back
- Though the scope of Indie Grits is very far-reaching, filmmakers remain our top priority. Benefits of acceptance into the Indie Grits community (other than being a part of the most exciting film festival in the Southeast) include:
- Access to private filmmaker lounge with food and drink
- Complimentary transportation to and from the airport/help with lodging in any way we can (stipends to discounted hotel rooms to extra beds and couches from the good people of Columbia)
- Access to the Indie Grits Travel Fund which helps supplement travel costs for accepted filmmakers
- Free access to several music concerts
- Free access to late night parties, and other special programs
“I love Indie Grits. The whole Nickelodeon team is passionate about film, filmmakers and showcasing new and diverse Southern voices. It shows in everything they do. They make sure you have a place to stay. They show you bold, risk-taking new Southern films that challenge and grow what it means to be Southern. They create weird and wonderful and warm environments for you to meet artists from all different disciplines and backgrounds. They connect you with distributors and screenings and opportunities beyond Columbia. They advocate for you. They feed you grits. The grits are really good.”
—Katrina Albright, Filmmaker, Director of 2015 Indie Grits film The Shrimper
All submissions must have a tie to the Southeast (SC, NC, VA, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN, LA, KY, AR, TX). This requirement can be satisfied in a number of ways. If you are from or currently reside in the Southeast and play a prominent role in the filmmaking process then you are set. Additionally if your film is set in or concerns an aspect of the Southeast then you’re also set.
You MUST include a statement with your application that explains your and/or your film’s relationship to the Southeast.
Deadlines for Entry:
- Earlybird Deadline
- Regular Deadline
- Late Deadline
- Extended Deadline
Method of Submission
Making things super simple, we ask that you use the online submission process provided by Withoutabox or FilmFreeway. They are free services for filmmakers allowing you to make a single, master profile for your film that you can apply to hundreds of festivals across the World. The process of using Withoutabox and FilmFreeway is easy and gives you access to extended deadlines. Just click on one of the buttons below and follow the instructions to register and apply:
Exhibition and Screening Formats:
Exhibition – DVD, digital file (.mov, .mp4), Blu-ray, Online Screeners (Vimeo and Withoutabox)